Sunday, February 17, 2013

Wine Tasting: Vintage Cellar


Thing number one I learned today: Cassis = a more concentrated black currant. That is all...

Anyway, I finally went to a wine tasting at the Vintage Cellar! When I walk into that marvelous place, every time I am immediately overcome by a overwhelming curiosity to taste every bottle and read each label, not to mention the insatiable desire that bubbles up telling me to go to France. As in, I should have left five minutes ago. Sigh. 

I grabbed two of my friends who aren't taking the wine course with be, but also have a passion for reds, so we indulged together. My one critiscism? The part of me that is incredibly mindful and a believer in reflecting on perception extremely consciously wanted the whole experiance to move at a more pleasing pace. I could barely keep my head on trying to take pictures, drink wine, write notes and entertain my friends! I'll just have to go again to get the process down. So here's the low down:

Ben Marco
Variety: Malbec
Region: Argentina
Year: 2010
Price: $14

"The 2010 Malbec contains 10% Bonarda in its makeup and received the same elevage as the Cabernet. Lovely aromas of black cherry, spice box, tobacco, lavender, and earthy minerals inform the nose of a ripe, succulent, intensely flavored wine that offers outstanding value and is meant for drinking over the next 5-7 years."

Interesting note: this wine is made by the renowned Argentinean wine Queen, Susana Balbo. Apparently being a woman in the wine bus is still a big deal. Hmm. Anyway, it smelled slightly of chlorine and soap but ended 
with some kind of oriental spice. It was smooth through the finish.

Sean Minor
Variety: Red Blend (30% Merlot, 23% Petit Verdot, 17% Zinfandel, 16% Petite Sirah, 10% Syrah, 4% Malbec) 
Region: Napa Valley
Year: 2009
Price: 20.00

"Deep ruby in color and displays aromas of ripe blueberry, dark cherry, cassis and vanilla. On the palate, flavors of blueberries and dark cherry combined with hints of oak spices... Long and lingering finish"

This was my favorite of all the reds we tried on this occasion, and most people at our table agreed that this was the one to buy. Flavors of plum sat softly in the mouth during the middle (I didn't mind sloshing it around and holding it on my palate) and it also had an extremely smooth but lingering finish.

Balletto
Variety: Chardonnay
Region: California
Year: 2010
Price: 20.00

"This golden-straw colored wine is both complex and elegant. It opens with warm spices, citrus aromas and a fresh fruit base of Asian pears and red apples. The baking spices include nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, and crme brulee aromas which are followed by citrusy lemon peel and fresh apples. The various aromas overlap and mingle producing an ever-changing bouquet that is the hallmark of our Chardonnay"

This one felt a bit bubbly on my tongue! I taste melon and pineapple. Really citrusy and refreshing. Not tart, but not too sweet.


Serenity NOW!
Variety: White Blend
Region: Unknown
Year: 2011
Price: 10.00

"Aromas of citrus, honeysuckle, nectarine and with expressive minerality. The flavors are rich and deep showing white peach, passion fruit, and honeydew melon with a hint of line...Long clean finish. Like summer in a glass"

This description hit the nail on the head for me. It was really melon-y and sweet, but had a long finish. It was definitely a summer wine though!! It just doesn't make sense for February. I feel like shouting Spring NOW! Also makes me think of desperate housewives. Just sayin.



Talamonti 
Variety: Trebbiano
Region: Abruzzo
Year: Unknown
Price: 10.00

"Pale straw with light green hues. Intense bouquet of ripe apples, peaches. Refreshing ripe apple and peach notes end with a gentle acidity. A rich, full, round and persistent wine."

This wine didn't seem like anything special to me. It was mild, plain and had some fruity apple flavor to it with a short finish. Unmemorable. Too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment